Grant money for schools
With so much to read and research online, it’s rare I stop to read old SMH articles from 2014. However, while researching grants for a client recently, I found the following article: ‘Education: Big money in grants but schools need to learn how to source it’. It’s definitely worth a read for any Principal, Business Manager or P&F President. The article identifies the availability of grant money for schools from all levels of state and federal government, and from some philanthropic organisations and businesses.
There are too many grants available to list them all. There does, however, seem to be a focus on environmental grants at the moment. But with a number of environmental grants closing in the next week or two, or that have already closed… have you missed the boat?
If your school is currently planning an environmental project, it might be worth applying for one of the grants below.
Plan: 2017 School Grants Calendar
Now is the time to start planning your 2017 School Grant Calendar. What are your priorities for 2017? If you’re thinking it’s too early to start planning, I urge you to reconsider:
- What would you like to achieve in 2017?
- What area will be your focus? Arts & Culture? Health & Wellbeing? Environmental sustainability? Technology?
- What difference can your school make to your local community or our nation, next year?
- Where will you find the funds for your project/s?
- Which member of staff has the writing and research skills to secure a grant for your project/s?
If you need help sourcing grants for a project, or need help writing a grant application, get in touch.
For updates on grants and grant writing strategies, sign up for my newsletter.
2016 Environmental Grants
1. Canon Oceania annual environmental grants program
Applications close Friday 5 August 2016
- School Award: An environmental project being run by a primary school ($5000).
- Runner-up: An environmental project from either a school or community group making an environmental impact ($1000).
2. Yates Junior Landcare Grant 2016
Applications close Monday 15 August 2016
- Win 1 of 12 grants worth $2000.
- Grants will be awarded to the most creative, well designed, sustainable, and environmentally conscious entries. So be inventive and imaginative – design, create, and educate!
3. Community Litter Grants
Applications close Wednesday 1 March 2017
- Can be entered by a group connected to a school, such as a P&C or a P&F.
- Designed for groups fed up with litter in their local area, and who would like to do something about it.
4. Eco Schools Grant – NSW Office of Environment & Heritage
Applications CLOSED 17 June 2016
- These grants are to fund school environmental management projects aimed at (1) environmental benefits, (2) student participation, (3) teacher engagement, or (4) managing for sustainability in school and the community.
- Grants of $3500 each are available for up to 80 schools in 2016-17. Up to 25 of these grants will be available for projects working primarily with students with special needs.
5. Beverage Container Recycling Grants
Applications CLOSED 1 July 2016
- Any group can apply provided their project has a focus on the recycling of beverage containers away from home and improves recycling and waste management infrastructure and/or educates the public on the importance of recycling.
- The project must have benefits for the whole community.
- In the case of schools: in order to be considered, the project must demonstrate an impact on the wider community beyond the school itself.
Stay tuned for more.